Summer is finally out and you can’t wait to be on vacation!
- Picking your summer destination. DONE !
- Booking your airplane ticket – at your favorite travel agency 😉. DONE !
Now it’s time to get ready for the airport! Despite the excitement, you cannot hide your worry about the crowd, the luggage to check in, the long line to get your boarding pass..!
Well, I, Léah with an H, will share with you my travel tips to make your pre-summer vacation peaceful! My secret? Preparation and new tools: the Internet!
In this article, in collaboration with Cathay Pacific, we will guide you on How To Check-In Online ! It is FREE, EASY & FAST.
Why Check-in Online? The benefits are multiple and here are the main ones
- avoid the long lines at the check-in office
- gain time
- choose your favorite seat in advance
- eco-friendly: no more paper boarding pass, just a QR code with your smartphone!
When to Check-in Online?
48 hours to 90 minutes before your departure (for free)
STEP 1 : LOG IN ON THE AIRLINE COMPANY
Open your browser (ex: Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari..) and get on your airline company’s website (ex: www.cathaypacific.com). If you already have a member account, log in by clicking on Log In. If not, just click on the button “Check-In Oline” or “Find a booking”
STEP 2 – LOG IN / IDENTIFY / CHECK-IN
If you are logged in: Click on “REGISTRATION ONLINE” and in the “Find My Booking” section, enter your personal information
– Last name and first names (please double check the spelling! No error)
– Reservation Reference Number or E-TICKET Number
If not, click on “Check-In Online” and enter the same credentials to connect and identify your booking
STEP 3 – SELECT YOUR FLIGHT AND CHOOSE YOUR SEAT
This is my favorite part! We all have our favorite seats or at least, a seat that we don’t want… No more surprise! The advantage of check-in online is that you can choose in advance your favorite seat!
However, notice that there are different options: free seats and preferential seats with additional fees.
- Choose your seat according to the availability (see plan of plane) or you must choose to buy your seat, or to be given a free seat at random (if your flight takes place within 4 days)
- Once you have selected an option, you will see your avatar on the selected select, select continue to pay your seats or retrieve your boarding pass.
STEP 4 – SECURITY & CONFIRM BOARDING PASS
Next, follow the steps (security, luggage restrictions …) and confirm your online registration. Your boarding ticket will be sent to you either by phone (QR code) or by mail (document to print)
If you don’t plan to print, make sure to have enough battery on your smartphone (take a powerbank with you) when you’ll present your online boarding pass at the gate.
If you have not had the time to register online at home, you can always head to one of the automatic check-in machines at the airport. These terminals are free and make you avoid queuing. Bring your passport and / or reference number / e-ticket number and follow the steps. Please note that online check-in is possible 90 minutes before your flight.
Finally, once check-in online is finalised, once at the airport, instead of going at the check-in line you can directly go to the luggage line to drop yours!
Thank you for reading.
Good luck & bon voyage!
Here is a sum up to share to your family and friends!
Written by HeyoLeah
In collaboration with Cathay Pacific